It’s Official, Adobe Media Server 5 Has Arrived!
Adobe Media Server 5 (formerly known as Adobe Flash Media Server) is now officially released and shipping. Along with a name change that clearly demonstrates its ubiquity across all platforms, AMS 5 has a great list of improved and new features that are available right out of the box. Coupled with its existing feature set, AMS 5 picks up right where FMS 4.5 left off and continues its delivery of media to multiple platforms with several protocols that can fit a large number of needs.
Here is a complete list of the Adobe Media Server 5 release features:
Expanded media streaming options
- Protected RTMP (pRTMP)
- 24/7 live streaming support
- Adobe Access key rotation and output protection (Adobe Access license required)
- Protected HTTP Dynamic Streaming for Adobe Flash and AIR (PHDS)
- Protected HTTP Live Streaming for Apple iOS (PHLS)
- Adaptive bitrate manifest support
- Multi-protocol manifest generator/pre-packaging tools (Flash and iOS)
- Adobe Access 4 DRM ready
- 608/708 closed captioning support
Enhanced communication features
- On-Demand stream packaging for HTTP (Flash and iOS)
- Audio extraction for HLS (required for Apple App Store approval)
- SIP Gateway support with G711 coding in Flash Player
- High quality audio/video capture support
- Scalable P2P introduction services for Flash
- Multicast ingest and recording
- Robust HTTP Media Origin services
- Advanced disk management for HTTP (Flash and iOS)
- Optimized Server configuration for live HDS
- Native 64-bit only
The Adobe Media Server 5 product line has the following editions available:
Adobe Media Server 5 Standard (formerly known as Adobe Flash Media Streaming Server) Even though it’s entry level, don’t let that fool you. With AMS 5 Standard, you can broaden your reach to more audiences by streaming RTMP and HTTP to Adobe Flash Player compatible and iOS devices.
- Internal video delivery on a small scale
- One-way broadcasting
- Video bloggers
Adobe Media Server 5 Professional (formerly known as Adobe Flash Media Interactive Server) The proverbial “Flagship” of the product line, AMS 5 Professional is both a robust and affordable solution. Leverage protected HTTP delivery internally and/or externally to Flash Player compatible and iOS devices and scale to fit needs. Target larger audiences and deliver DRM protected content with Adobe Access to implement a single workflow solution.
- Large broadcasters running HTTP origin services
- Broadcasters who need DRM protection over HTTP to all devices
- Large enterprise deployments with multicast support
- Small to medium sized businesses
Adobe Media Server 5 Extended (formerly known as Adobe Flash Media Enterprise Server) Leverage a large scale, unified communications network and deliver with high-quality voice and video capabilities to SIP-enabled devices through the integrated Adobe Flash Media Gateway. Add massive scalability and reduce network congestion with P2P capacity for large enterprise broadcasts to several locations over several networks.
- VoIP network services integration enabling traditional calls with Adobe Flash applications
- Massive-scale communication applications
- Large enterprises with global live delivery
- Immediate and complete media delivery control and content protection
Adobe Media Server 5 Starter (formerly known as Adobe Flash Media Development Server) In limited capacities, leverage all of the features available in all editions for Proof of Concept and development. Not to be used for production.
- Evaluation purposes only
- Proof of Concept
- Application level development
- Testing and/or staging
Let RealEyes help you determine which Adobe Media Server 5 edition meets your immediate and/or long term needs, and how to get started.